in ,

As per the latest information BSNL has obtained a uniform license in 22 telecom circuits including Delhi & Mumbai for 20 years.

According to the latest information, the Department of Telecommunications (DOT) signed a Unified License Agreement (UL) with BSNL on December 10,2020.

Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has been granted a uniform license in the country’s 22 telecom circuits (service areas) for a period of 20 years. According to the latest information, the Department of Telecommunications (DOT) signed a Unified License Agreement (UL) with BSNL on December 10,2020.

BSNL was holding a 2G license (CMTS license) in 20 telecom circles (excluding Delhi & Mumbai) which expired on 28th February 2020. Now BSNL got Unified License (UL) in all 22 telecom circles including Delhi & Mumbai with effect from 29th February 2020 all over India. With Unified License (UL), BSNL may offer any form of communication (Telephone, Internet, Broadband, and others) through a single license. It also delinks the spectrum from future licenses.

For this Unified License, BSNL has provided a bank guarantee (BG) in the amount of Rs 250 Crore. The license has been renewed to continue providing services across the country like:

  • Access Services (voice telephony, broadband services, IPTV services, Triple play services, Internet Telephony etc)
  • National long distance (NLD) Services
  • International long distance (ILD) Services
  • Public Mobile Radio Trunking Services (PMRTS) Services
  • Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT) CUG
  • Mobile Satellite System Reporting (MSS-R) Services for INSAT

FDI up to 100% allowed in Unified License

100% FDI is permitted under the Unified Licensing regime, with 49% going through the automatic route and the remaining 51% going through the FIPB route as long as investors and licensees adhere to the security and licensing requirements as periodically communicated by the DoT.

IPTV Service is allowed in Unified License

With unified license, an operator can provide IPTV services however DTH service is not included. To provide any broadcasting or DTH service, licensees should apply for a separate license to offer the same.

Spectrum gets liberalized.

The PSU would be able to offer seamless 2G, 3G, and 4G services throughout all 22 telecom circles using the 900MHz, 1800MHz, and 2100MHz spectrum bands when the Unified License was issued. It implies that BSNL may use all of its spectrum to offer 2G, 3G, or 4G services depending on their needs.

Please leave comments on this article with your thoughts and ideas, dear readers. How many of you think that the Indian telecom sector desperately needs BSNL? Would you kindly provide comments on the BSNL Services?

What do you think?

Written by Shallu Srivastav

Exclusive: All current and future Bharat Fiber (FTTH) subscribers across all circles will now receive faster download speeds and pre-FUP data use.

As Per Latest Information For regular users, BSNL updated the rate plans for bulk push SMS services and exempted sender IDs from TRAI regulations.